IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Axle Tech Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery Store Home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 571
Default rear 44 BOM's?

anyone have a link or info to rear 44 BOM's? I can find front, but not rear. It has a strange number on it as well

3 80 7A8
Plug Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 527
Default Re: rear 44 BOM's?

This might help:
http://www2.dana.com/pdf/X510-8DSD.pdf

Tag down to Dana 44 rear
Greg R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plug Ugly View Post
anyone have a link or info to rear 44 BOM's? I can find front, but not rear. It has a strange number on it as well

3 80 7A8
That's not the BOM number Plug, that's the date code. This is an extract from an email I received several years ago from Spicer Tech:

"Formatted "MM DD Y", the date code always represents the year as a single digit, except on differentials which can be two digits. Housing date codes are followed by a letter (A, B, or C) which may indicate the work shift or factory line. Some differential stampings also show this letter suffix. Zeros are not used in month and day codes. Wide variation in spacing of the components of the date code is seen, and it is not unheard of to see two date codes stamped into a housing, one above the other. These two date codes are usually within a few weeks of one another."

At some point in time, Spicer/Dana converted to Julian date format, so your posted number could read as the 80th day of 1983 or 1993 if it was built after the date conversion.

A Spicer/Dana BOM number format will always be six digits followed by a hyphen and then one more digit, no letters involved. If you can find the BOM, I do have a master list of Spicer axle "where used" for all OEM except IHC, M/Y 79>92.5. My IHC reference ends with M/Y '78.

Keep cleaning and buffing the tube around where ya found the date code and hopefully the BOM will emerge. But...it's not uncommon that axles assemblies did NOT get a stamped BOM, some were stenciled on in ink/paint.

Spicer has acknowledged to us that only less than one half of all issued BOM numbers are in their knowledge base currently available on the web. That is why we have to call in a request which they research in their "card file" system and then get back to us with data.

If you "think" ya know what the OEM donor and M/Y of your axle is/was, then post that and I'll try a "reverse lookup" in the references I have.

http://vimeo.com/8149690

Last edited by Michael Mayben; 03-23-2009 at 09:33 AM..
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

thanks michael, it occurred to me that was a strange number, not like the 6xxxxx numbers i was used to.

Ill see what I an find.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

finally got off my butt. its 603882. trying to find it now on the dana site, but it doesnt turn up.

Axle Bill of Material

Last edited by Plug Ugly; 04-18-2009 at 02:18 PM..
Old 04-18-2009, 06:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 527

Here's what I found for 603882 on page 183:
http://www2.dana.com/pdf/X510-8DSD.pdf

There should be a dash and suffix number also; to tell what ratio you have and/or limited slip.
Greg R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

Keep looking to the right of the six digit number, there may not be a hyphen on all axles but there may be a looooong space then either one or two more digits. I have an axle here now I'm tearing down that has the "hyphen" and then three more digits, the first two digits were partially ground away before the third digit was struck in. That is another common Dana/Spicer anomaly... occurred as the "specs" for that particular axle changed while in the production process.

The six digit number you posted indicates an application for a "1976-1/2>1978 Scout II/Traveler (or Terra of course).

Old 04-18-2009, 08:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

yeah, I tried the 603882 1, but that was all I could find. ill look again.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

IF you see a seventh digit after a space that is stamped in a matching font, then THAT is the correct ID number! From what you have posted, that would be the "1" digit.

A "1" (with either a hyphen or a space) on that BOM # indicates a 3.07 gear set with open differential.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

interesting, its got 4.88's in it and it is open. The stock spring pads are right out to the drums almost. I havent taped it, but its not much wider than the 27 it replaced. MIght be at 60" or so.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

Obviously the gearing has been changed as regards that particular BOM #, not unusual at all. A "-8" suffix after the six digit number would indicate a final drive ratio of 4.27, that was the "lowest" ratio included in that BOM series.

The M/Y 71.5>73 SII BOM could have included a 4.89 set, open diff only.

This is exactly why a BOM is only a "starting point" for reference. Just like a lineset ticket. All that really matters is whatcha actually got right now!

Old 04-19-2009, 06:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Michael Mayben;13859]
The M/Y 71.5>73 SII BOM could have included a 4.89 set, open diff only.
QUOTE]

this could be it, the PO did say it was a later scout (as compared to a 63 80 I guess?) Ill have to check the ring gear for dates to see if they jive with that date range. Not that stock matters or not.

did the SII have the perches all the way out near the drum backing plates? I thought they wouldhave been the same as the 80's