IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Carb Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery Store Home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 78
Default Holley 1904 Carburetor Rebuild Part 1, Disassembly

This Holley 1904 Carburetor is currently used on a 1965 Scout 800 with a 152 IH 4 cylinder engine. Its Holley list number is 3716, and IH number 317334-C91. From what I have read, this carb was originally used on a 196 IH 4 cyl engine, with a larger bolt pattern throttle body. It now has a smaller bolt pattern throttle body for use on a 152.

The kit I used is a GP Sorensen 96-192A sourced from a local parts store.

This is a Holley Remanufactured carb bought from Holley through a local parts store about 3 years ago. I know the owner of the Scout, and I installed this carb for him right out of the box 3 years ago when it was sourced from Holley. It worked OK when it was fresh, but it never would idle or run quite right. I had a limited time to try and tune it, then the Scout was taken home by the owner and while it was started from time to time, it wasnt driven much.

Recently, it would start and idle but would die when trying to rev the engine. The owner asked me to rebuild it, so I will document the process.

Disassembly.

Remove the air cleaner mount adapter, ring, and gasket.

Remove the float bowl screws and float bowl.

Dusty crusty stuff in the bowl.

Remove the float hinge pin and the float.

Remove the fuel hose inlet connector.

Remove the fuel inlet seat screw. It goes through the bowl body into the seat assembly.
MikeInMobile,AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Holley 1904 Carburetor Rebuild Part 1, Disassembly

Remove the seat, and the needle from the seat.

Remove the economizer cover screws, and the economizer.

This main well does not belong in this carb. Its off a different carburetor, a Holley 1920. It physically bolts in place of the correct Holley 1904 main well, but will not operate correctly. This carb was remanufactured by Holley, and they rebuilt it with this incorrect main well and shipped it to be delivered to an unsupecting customer.

This a correct main well for a Holley 1904. The economizer valve is the most obvious difference.

Remove the main well. The gasket may stick to the main well and pull out the accelerator pump assembly when the main well comes out.

Separate the gasket from the main well. There is a large spring in between the gasket and the main well.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Disassemble the accelerator pump assembly. The accelerator pump assembly consists of the pump diaphragm with attached shaft, sleeve, spring and ball.

In this carb, the sleeve was corroded internally and was frozen to the diaphragm shaft, causing the accelerator pump not to work correctly. Its the corroded one on the right. That explains why the Scout would idle, but die when trying to accelerate.

Flip the carb over and remove the idle adjusting needle and spring.

Remove the throttle body and unhook the link to the accelerator pump cam.

Remove the accelerator pump cam E clip, and the cam.

Flip the carb back over and remove the pump discharge nozzle assembly.

Soak the carb in carb dip, or clean it with your choice of cleaner. I soak from 12 to 24 hours depending on the condition of the carb then, wearing nitril gloves, I scrub off any crud left on the carb with a nylon brush using spray carb cleaner, and scrub the carb with hot soapy water. I then blow out all the vacuum passages with spray carb cleaner, using the red straw. Eye protection is highly recommended here since its easy to misjudge where the spray will come out when you spray into any given hole in the carb body, and the carb spray will possibly be pushing out a bit of carb dip too. I then spray through all the
passages with compressed air to make sure they are all clear.

See Part 2, Reassembly
Old 05-06-2010, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 650

nice write up with the pics. This will be a good start for me as I have the same rebuild kit on the shelf.

1961 Scout 80 half-top, 152, Weber DGV, T14, Spicer18 with Ramsey 8000# PTO winch, front Dana 27 with PowerLok, rear Dana 44 with Detroit, and multiple gun racks..............

Last edited by mcsmythe; 05-06-2010 at 10:29 AM..
mcsmythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 3235

Very nice and instructive lesson. I have the same exact issue with the main well, where can I purchase one? Thanks
56willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 10

Reconditioned main wells for the Holley 1904 carburetor are normally on the shelf at the shop. You must CALL to inquire, we don't have anywhere near everything showing in the online store.

I may still have a few left here also. Robert has more of 'em at his place in progress and I have seven or eight now that need to be reconditioned also.

The correct carburetor kits are also on the shelf at the Grass Valley shop.

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 3235

Michael Mayben

Thanks for the reply, where can I find the number to call, I am new to the forum. Thanks
56willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56willys View Post
Michael Mayben

Thanks for the reply, where can I find the number to call, I am new to the forum. Thanks
The IHON shop HQ phone number is 530.268.0864. Current business hours are 7:30a>4:30p.

I did just talk with Jeff at the shop, currently we have no 1904 main well assemblies on hand. But I have quite a few here for rebuild and a few nice used ones. I got a large order of parts in yesterday that will greatly enhance our ability to rebuild these carbs, including the main wells.

So if you need a main well, you can order from the shop and I'll take care of making it happen from my end, though there may be some delay in actually getting the part to you. If you need more discussion about this, then please contact my email:

michael@ihonlynorth.com

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 2322

I can't believ what kind of crap and incorrect parts Holley themselves would think of putting together with these carbs. I can't believe they actually sold these as Holley reman carbs. It's like taking your Ford to the dealer and coming out with a Buick engine......it's not only weird but absolutely unacceptable.