IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Carb Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery Store Home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 08:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 10
Default Holley 23XX Series Modular Carb Stuff

Let's use this thread to discuss anything related to the Holley 2300 Modular series carbs (2300, 2300C, 2300G, etc.) that were OEM on IH products back in the day.

http://vimeo.com/8149690

Last edited by Michael Mayben; 04-02-2008 at 08:18 AM..
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

Default Re: Holley 23XX Series Modular Carb Stuff

For identification purposes, here's a shot of a "typical" OEM-type 2300 used on IH-produced SV 266, 304, and 345 engines. There were MANY variations of this carb used throughout the automotive industry for many years, including the legendary "three dueces" setup for Ford. This the "side-hung" float bowl unit, with a manual choke as used on pickups, Travelalls, and Scout 800 with both 266 and 304 engine options.
Attached Images

Last edited by Michael Mayben; 04-02-2008 at 05:42 PM..
Old 04-02-2008, 11:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

For identification purposes, here's a shot of a "typical" 2300G (governed carburetor used with a governor-equipped distributor) used on IH-produced SV engines used in medium duty vehicles. There were MANY variations of this carb used throughout the truck industry for many years.

This carb is in service on an IH 4x4 backcountry firefighting rig.
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2008, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

For identification purposes, here's a shot of a "typical" AFTERMARKET replacement 2300 centerhung float bowl (with electric choke). This carb is an excellent replacement unit for a problematic Holley 22XX series units but is NOT emissions-legal for street use on ANY vehicle. This carb is not available from Holley with an electric choke, that item must be purchased as an accessory and installed in place of the manual choke system.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2008, 01:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

This shows the typical IH part number and Holley List number location for an OEM 2300, sidehung fuel bowl unit. For the aftermarket 2300, the List number will be in the same position, driver side, front of the choke air horn.
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2008, 08:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 438

How about some Tuning Tips... I just rebuilt mine. I got it to run decent. But any fine tuning tips, would be helpful.
Mariposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

Well Butterfly...

I'm working onna "simplified" step-by-step deallybob just for that subject! And that will be posted as a separate thread in this forum as the process is the same for either the 2V or 4V carb dial-in. This will be ONLY for the Holley modular carbs, though the process is applicable to any carb combo.

But first...it's IMPERATIVE that your ignition system be COMPLETELY serviced and up to snuff. Remember this quote and NEVER forgit it as you progress through lernin' how to play with oldskool junkiron:

"IGNITION affects carburetion...carburetion DOES NOT affect IGNITION"

Git it?

Post up EXACTLY what your COMPLETE ignition system consists of, as much detail as possible. Has the distributor advance system been serviced and verified as functional? Has the dwell been verified/adjusted (yes...even electronic trigger distributors will exhibit a dwell factor). Has the base ignition timing been set for the altitude and fuel grade where you play? What is the base timing factor you are using? Has the ignition ADVANCE been verified as functioning properly? What IS the "advance" (in degrees BTDC) you see at 2800rpm?

This is Step 1 in carb dial-in. If we don't do this, then yore fartin' in tha breeze dude!

I know...ya wanted it in less than five words and incorporate sprinklin' with whoopeee dust to make it all play nice! That ain't gonna happen with me around!

Can ya play the game?

THANK YOU for asking!

Old 05-08-2008, 08:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

Step 2:

Need DEETALE regarding yore carb setup! I figger ya be runnin' a 2300 of sum vintage since ya posted inna 2300 thread! But WHICH 2300? Need ta know is it OEM or aftermarket? What's tha LIST number. What's tha motor deeTALE? How bad did ya scruu over tha carb when ya "rebuilt" it? What kit did you use? What did ya find wrong with it at teardown?

What's the setup on it now (which pump cam, what hole, what shooter number, where's the idle mixture screws set, what's connected to the vacuum ports and where, what air cleaner, what # main jets, what # power valve and the TYPE of power valve, what's the "normal" operational altitude where ya play, etc.).

Too much info? If so, ya need ta move down to a Honda "Pilot" and let tha pooter drive ya around.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 227
Default Re: Holley 22XX Series Carb Stuff

Michael,

I am sure this has been discussed but I haven't been able to find my exact problem...almost seems to be reversed from most and so was hoping you could point down the right road.

I have the aftermarket 7448 Holley carb and I just rebuilt it. It was the one on the BB with the terrible water corrosion on the inside.

It is running well but once it is warmed up, from a stopped position when I step on the gas, or even accelerate a little, it will stumble and hesitate, and almost die. I have to back off and try again. Once it is up to speed it doesn't have any issues.

I have the air mixture screws set to factory (turned in all the way and backed out two rotations), I am running the stock primary, and I have #58 jets at an elevation of 5,000 feet. Plugs are all light brown and even. Idle is set to 550-600 rpms and I have the timing at 12* btdc.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

-Dan
dlrecord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

Welcome to the IHON Forum Dan!

I saw your post on the BB, but as of last week, I ONLY play with "tech" (mainly carb and slushbox tranny stuff) in THIS forum!

And this is posted in the thread for the Holley 22XX series, (2210/2210C/2245). Your carb is the "2300" series, so we'll move this post to the other thread once I figgr how to do that!

Several things come to mind regarding your problem!

Number 1 question is..."did this issue exist" BEFORE the water intrusion? If so, then this diagnostic can go two directions.

But for right now, I'm assuming your answer is "NO"! And...your issue involves "tip-in" and accel pump "shot" IF the idle quality is stable and you can achieve a manifold vacuum at curb idle speed of around 13">14"hg at the 5K ft. elevation point.

So...let's go down this list...

Looking straight down into the carb venturis, when ya whack the throttle ONE TIME do you see a heavy, steady stream of liquid fuel being discharged from BOTH accel pump "shooter" nozzles? If so, then ya STILL may have a pump shot issue, but that is the first check.

If no/weak pump shot, then the accel pump diaphragm AND the "umbrella" check valve should be replaced. If this is an earlier version of the 0-7448, then it won't have a umbrella valve (orange silicone rubber item under the pump diaphragm), but will have a "check ball" retained by a cage component.

Then, remove the shooter (single large Phillips head screw down through the choke air horn). It MUST have a "seal" (rubber-coated aluminum washer) on top and bottom of the shooter itself. Down inside the hole where the screw threads in, there is another "check valve". It could be a relatively long "needle" about 3/16" in diameter), a short needle with what appears to be a roller bearing on top (aka "hanging weight"), or maybe even a ball bearing. That valve MUST be free to jiggle around in there and NOT bind.

So verify all this stuff FIRST. Then report back, I keep this forum active all day on both my pooters. DO NOT start messin' with the pump shot cam UNTIL I see your response, this kinda stuff needs to be diagnosed inna "sequence" otherwise you are throwing darts!

And also, I'm assuming you did NOTHING to the ignition system during the time the rig has been offline for carb repair?? The ignition system should ALWAYS be verified OK and timing set and locked down BEFORE scruuin' with the carb!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mayben View Post
And this is posted in the thread for the Holley 22XX series, (2210/2210C/2245). Your carb is the "2300" series, so we'll move this post to the other thread once I figgr how to do that!
Moved

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
(530)268-0864
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

Jeff, thanks for moving the post.

Michael, I will get out there this weekend and peek around. I know the unit has the umbrella check valve (orange silicone rubber item under the pump diaphragm) because I replaced that in the rebuild.

I'll report back my findings over the weekend . Thanks for helping me trouble shoot this!

-Dan
Old 05-30-2008, 09:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

OK Dan!

So we don't waste any effort when you git ta workin' on the rig again...I need to know the "color" of the accel pump cam...and...what # hole is the screw currently inserted in.

Also...the fuel level MUST be set with the engine running prior to making any adjustments, I set the fuel level about 1/16" BELOW the bottom of the thread for the sight plug, that is the BEST setting for a rig that is wheeled in your kinda conditions/terrain.

Then...once warmed up, the idle mixture screws must be fine-tweeked for YOUR altitude where using. All the variable adjustments MUST be set BEFORE fine-tuning the accel pump delivery system.

Do you remember what main jets you have installed in that carb for your altitude? OEM jets for a 0-7448 are #61 or #62 which work just great onna 304/345 at sea level up to about 3Kft. I'd say you should be running #54>#56 in your setup for the Sierra off the top of my head.

ALL fuel for ALL circuits inna Holley 2300/4150/4160 goes THROUGH the main jets/power valve, so all tuning efforts must be made AFTER the proper main jet size is determined and installed.

I'm not saying the following can "fix" your issue...but just having a "low" fuel level set in the fuel bowl can cause the tip-in issue you have. But first, we need to run ALL the basics down before homing in on that. I really think you have multiple issues here, the kinda stuff that comes with experience in doing MANY of these carbs and is NOT covered in any carb kit "instruction" sheet or service manual. That is the prime mover behind this forum!

BIG difference in what we do in these forums vs. what is "smokeblowed" about in other forums, we DIAGNOSE issues, then FIX 'em!

Old 05-31-2008, 07:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

Alright Michael, priliminary report:

No, this issue did not exist before the water intrusion. Actually, Earl at Federal Valley tuned it up about a year ago and it was running really well before I replaced the fuel tank and ran new lines (and plugged the charcoal can vent line off the liquid/vapor seperator, which I believe to have introduced condensation into the system).

Accel pump shot was good: strong solid jet streams out of both nozzels.

Float bowl was way low though. Reset to 1/16" below bottom thread (best approximation).

Phillips screw on the shooter did have the gasket, and at the bottom of the shooter there seemed to be a check ball, which did move freely.

I am running #59 jets and I believe #62s were stock...(1 number down per 2,000 feet of elevation above sea level I beleive is what Holley says and I was at 6500 elev but am now at 5000 feet elevation here in greater Denver).

I am not exactly sure about the primary valve...I'll be darned if I can find the stamped number! It was stock out of the rebuild kit so I am guessing it would be a #65 (?). And I am not sure what my vacuum is...I'll try to pull a reading tomorrow.

The color of the accel pump cam is "light orange" and it is in the #2 hole (where the flat head screw is).

Finally, after setting the float bowl level, I rechecked my timing and am at 20* btdc and idling at 650. If I try to "devance" (is that a word?) the timing, it stumbles and dies.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

-Dan
Old 05-31-2008, 07:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrecord View Post
Finally, after setting the float bowl level, I rechecked my timing and am at 20* btdc and idling at 650. If I try to "devance" (is that a word?) the timing, it stumbles and dies.
According to your timing results it sounds like your distributor is off one tooth. Set engine to TDC and check position of rotor(where's it pointing). If it seems off quite a bit from the #8 terminal on the cap than chances are distributor is off a tooth. Is the vacuum advance sitting closer to the water pump or closer to the intake manifold? Or is it about halfway? A vacuum reading will help alot.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
(530)268-0864
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote