IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Carb Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery Store Home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 10:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 1281
Default holley 2300/7448 elec. choke fast idle not working

Hi, I'm new here working on my buddy's 78 scout II traveller with a 345/727 4inch lift 33's.

I just got done putting on the new 2300/7448 carb kit from IHON with electric choke conversion already done, It used to have a 2210. Timed it before I did it at 10btdc and rechecked the air gap .030 on the pertronix module on the holley 1510 dist., adjusted fuel float, when hot it idles at about 750 and in gear about 600 and adjusted the the idle mixture screws with a vaccum gage at 22hg hot at idle.

The carb runs really good and drives like a different vehicle, I just can't get the fast idle cam to activate and don't know what I'm doing there, I've even disconnected the linkage with a cold engine and opened the throttle all the way let go then started the motor and it won't go higher than 800rpm. the choke negative is hooked to the carb and the postive is attached to a painless wiring block that is ignition hot (double checked). The choke is working and is in the middle mark. any help is appreciated
Big Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 453
Default Re: holley 2300/7448 elec. choke fast idle not working

If you contort yourself just so, you will see a small hex head screw with the head facing the intake manifold behind the choke thermo housing. This is the tension adjustment screw that allows proper activation of the plastic fast idle cam. It is difficult to see and even tougher to adjust, but can be done. Turn it clockwise to increase the tension which will increase the fast idle speed when engaged. This will take you several cold start fiddles to get it set properly. Ideally, full fast idle should be roughly 1600 rpms and should gradually step down from there in 200 rpm increments as the choke slowly pulls off.
& Rehabilitation
SHOP NORTH

Favorite hobby...Driving Salma Hayek in my Scout

Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/33" TSL's/33g Tank/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 10

Trever's method for fast idle adjustment is certainly correct!

But before making that attempt, you need to WATCH (and feel) the entire choke/fast idle mechanism when the engine is cold to verify that all parts are operating properly. It's common that some binding can occur when the electric choke system is installed on the carb but until it's mounted on the engine and hot-cycled the issue can't be discovered.

The entire choke system should be real sloppy in operation with absolutely NO binding or hangup of the parts. With the air cleaner removed, all this is very easy to check and you can watch the choke/fast idle system operate with your eyes. From full closed to full open, the entire choke operation duration is between three and four minutes and is a "timed" event based upon the design of the choke heater.

Then...if the choke system is operating correctly, you can make the final fast idle adjustment on the carb lever as Trever has outlined.

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 1281

I got it working great now, i had to turn it about 3 turns to 1500rpms, thanks guys.

I also noticed that there is a little stumble while the engine is still cold driving if given too much pedal but when its warmed up there is no stumble is there any adjustments i should try. I don't know if I should make another thread but is there anything detailed about adjusting the tranny kickdown for dummy's. I've read the 727 guapo but nothing is sinking in.
Big Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 453

Good deal on the fast idle setting. Cold stumble is somewhat normal on these engines. The best way to combat it is allow for more warm up time before placing under load, or use a gentle touch on the throttle at first if time doesn't allow for adequate warm up. I've found it quite funny how similar SV engines in identical settings behave differently on cold start, but then run exactly the same once warmed up.

Case in point: The 392 in my Scout. It has a Holley 4150 with electric choke. The choke is set as it should be and functions properly. If I get in too much of a hurry and kick it down to curb idle too soon, it has a tough time maintaining idle and will often die if I'm not there to blip the throttle every 20 seconds or so. Once it warmed up, it idles like a dream.

Case #2: The 345 in my '71 1210. It has an older 2300 with manual choke. The thing barely needs any choke at cold start. I usually set it about half-way for maybe one minute or less and then push it all in and the engine seems quite content to just idle away unassisted. Even so, it will still buck and surge a bit if a load is introduced too quickly.

Just for house-keeping sake, it is best to have separate threads for separate issues. I can't believe the kickdown adjustment procedure hasn't at least been discussed somewhere within the trans section. It is well covered in the service manual.
& Rehabilitation
SHOP NORTH

Favorite hobby...Driving Salma Hayek in my Scout

Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/33" TSL's/33g Tank/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 10

We've addressed the transmission "kickdown" issue for the 727 many times. This thread is probably the easiest to work with:

http://www.ihonlynorth.com/forums/tr...does-work.html

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote