IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Carb Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery Store Home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 3315
Default Summit Racing Carb

I have a 1979 Scout II 345 V8. Points distributor (soon to be a pertronix system as soon as I can figure out which distributor I have). Auto trans. EGR delete plate installed. Engine stock.

I just ordered a Summit Racing brand Carb for it. I'm looking for any advice on the install, or any words of wisdom from anyone else who has tried to use this carb. I also ordered the adapter plate to go from spread to square.

Here are the specs of it:

Brand Summit Racing
Manufacturer's Part Number SUM-M08600VS
Part Type Carburetors
Product Line Summit Racing Street & Strip® Carburetors
Summit Racing Part Number SUM-M08600VS

Number of Barrels 4
Carburetor Flange Square bore
CFM 600
Choke Electric
Fuel Gasoline
Secondary Type Vacuum
New or Remanufactured New
Fuel Inlet Dual
Primary Jet Size 67
Primary Power Valve (Hg) 6.5 Hg
Primary Discharge Nozzle Size (in) 0.035 in.
Secondary Jet Size 73
Carburetor Finish Tumble polished
Ford Kickdown Yes
Throttle Linkage Type Universal
Notes Summit Racing recommends this part for single carbureted applications only.

Here is the direct web address to view it: Summit Racing SUM-M08600VS - Summit Racing Street & Strip® Carburetors - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Thanks in advance for any help!
OSUBEAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 453
Default Re: Summit Racing Carb

That's a new one on me. I had no idea Summit was making and selling mixers, so I had to do a little research. It looks like the design is based on a long discontinued Holley model 4010. Again, I have no familiarity with that model either. Looks like you'll be a complete guinea pig on this deal. About the only remarks I can make is that your 345 is about as far from a racing or high performance engine as you can get and still be called a V8. Its pretty much all in at 4200 rpms, which is a fast idle by ChryFordRolet standards. This carb's primary jets are huge, and the secondaries are humongous. I think this thing would be overkill for anything with "International" on the valve covers, except maybe a highly modified 392. My best wild ass guess is that this carb is calibrated too fat across the board and your 345 will run like garbage from idle to WOT. I hope for your sake I'm wrong. Oh, one more thing.........

GO DUCKS! GO DUCKS!

Favorite hobby...Driving Salma Hayek in my Scout

Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/33" TSL's/33g Tank/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
ihpartstrever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for looking into all of that. I bet I can change out the jets - you have some recommendations for jet size for me? I'm really hoping I can pioneer this and make it work. Could be a great thing - Spakin' new carb at a great price.

O S U! oh and..my wife was born/raised in the state of jefferson.

Last edited by OSUBEAVER; 04-02-2012 at 08:28 PM..
Old 04-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, you should be able to change jets. Sometimes that isn't enough. I think you should install it as is just to see how it is right out of the box. If it is too rich at idle and bogs when you drop the hammer, reduce the primaries by 5 sizes and move the 67's to the secondary.

Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/33" TSL's/33g Tank/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Old 04-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 5

summit is great with returns. not sure once you bolt it down.

A lot have used the circle track race carbs. They have a 350 cfm limit, which works pretty good on a 345.

One thing we don't know is what cam your running.

Nice looking carb

Old 04-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Scoutboy - Good advice. But I'm wondering if I should just send it back for something less? OR perhaps I will be alright to bolt on as is and adjust the jets.

Craig, can you link more information on the carb you're talking about? I have a stock cam (not sure what it is).

Thanks everyone. Fast shipping, it should be here by tomorrow.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

There really isn't any data or experience to pull from for this carb with respect to how it functions on an IH SV8 engine. It might be fine, it might be awful. So its a gamble. Only you can decide if its worth the risk. For my money, I'd rather go with something proven. There are some threads in the carb tech section that discuss spreadbore 4bbl carb options. I believe the carb Craig mentioned would be a Holley list 0-7448 2bbl which isn't a good match for your spreadbore 4bbl intake. If you had a 2bbl intake, that carb would be the cat's meow.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 602

OSU:

That carb looks like it is based on a Holley 4010, which is similar to the 4 bbl Autolite carb. Both are square bore carbs. The Holley 4011 was a spreadbore configuration in that carb series. It looks like it has the typical Holley diaphragm accelerator pump and vacuum secondary mechanisms, both which are very tuneable. I actually prefer the spreadbore setup for the 345. My friend has a '79 Scout II w/ 345 and Carter ThermoQuad carb. It runs very economically on the small primaries, but will kick-in heavily when the large secondaries get opened.

Like others have said, this is not a typically used carb on the IH SV V8s, and most of us have little-to-no experience with it. As said earlier, if you want to keep the carb and try it out, bolt it on and try it with the jets and power valve that are in it. I would bet it may need a bit of a downsizing in the jets, and an increase in the power valve vacuum spec (from 6.5 to 8.5, for example). And when you connect the electric choke to a (+) 12VDC ignition-switched power source, do NOT connect it to the ignition coil power circuit.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the specifications on possible adjustments Erik. I guess someone should figure out if this carb will work, might as well be me.

Any other specifications/modifications people have for suggestions, let me know (only of course if it doesn't work with a straight bolt on).
Old 04-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Update: I ordered new primary jets (5 sizes smaller) and a vacuum secondary spring kit in case I need to put something a bit stiffer in there.

1. Holley 122-62 - Holley Standard Main Jets - Overview - SummitRacing.com

2. Summit Racing SUM-200451 - Summit Racing® Vacuum Secondary Spring Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Hopefully if the bolt on doesn't work, those parts will come in handy.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUBEAVER View Post
I also ordered the adapter plate to go from spread to square.
My reading skills must be getting bad, I did not see this.

Personally in my opinion a spread bore would be better for a daily driver that has fuel economy in mind. because you can cruise on the small primary's but when you nail it you have the huge seconadary's to get you moving in a hurry.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
My reading skills must be getting bad, I did not see this.

Personally in my opinion a spread bore would be better for a daily driver that has fuel economy in mind. because you can cruise on the small primary's but when you nail it you have the huge seconadary's to get you moving in a hurry.
Personally, I'm a fan of having the holes on the carb match up with the holes on the intake without the need of an adapter plate, both for performance/economy reasons as well as potential hood clearance issues.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member Number: 731

Install a Carter ThermoQuad on it and be done with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thermo-Quad_ 032 Rebuilt & Installed.jpg (77.2 KB, 630 views)
File Type: jpg Thermo-Quad_ 031 Install Here.jpg (80.3 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg Engine.jpg (93.3 KB, 515 views)

My Junk --> 1975 "200HD" AWD Truck
My Cave location --> Western North Carolina
1975IH200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member Number: 697

And if you can't find a T-Quad, a Q-Jet is right at home on a Spreadbore manifold too. This is a '79 like yours.
Let us know how it goes!
Attached Images

Dealbreaker74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealbreaker74 View Post
And if you can't find a T-Quad, a Q-Jet is right at home on a Spreadbore manifold too. This is a '79 like yours.
Let us know how it goes!
SUMMIT RACING only sells re-manufacture ones.
I know when I needed to replace my carb I wanted new. I've just never had a lot of luck with reman. carbs.

Where I live we can go from 30-9,000+ in one day. There is a carb out there that will adjust for elevation. I ended up with a TBI unit in the end.