IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery Store Home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2008, 03:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
IHPA General Manager

Member Number: 3
Default What has the EPA done for you lately

The daily driver thread in Tech Talk got me thinking and doing a little research. This is basically a long winded rant so stop reading now if you have somewhere to be. I was curious to find out just what benefit the EPA and all of their regulations have had in the last 20 years. I was not surprised to find out that like just about everything else that is run by a government entity it fails to inspire me. The below is the mission statement of the EPA taken directly off the main page of their 2009 budget document.

The mission of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is to protect and safeguard human health and the environment. This budget supports the Administration’s commitment to environmental results as we work to increase the pace of improvement and identify new and better ways to carry out our mission. It also emphasizes the need for sound management of our federal resources, as delineated in the President’s Management Agenda.

Is anyone else confused by that? I for one do not want the EPA looking out for my health, and they have obviously failed miserably in safeguarding and protecting the environment. By their own ranting they admit the environment is in shambles.

However this is an automotive based audience so I will just take aim at those figures

I went to the EPA site to get these figures so I would think that if they were biased they would tend to be so in favor of the EPA. However what I found, while expected still shocked me to see in black and white. I used the best selling car in America for last several years and a truck that I felt would somewhat represent Internationals. I looked up only base model standard transmissions.

The results were as follows

1985 Toyota Camry California model
MPG 23 City 29 Hwy. with a carbon footprint of 7.3 tons per year
1985 Toyota Camry Federal model
MPG 21 City 31 Hwy with a carbon footprint of 7.7 tons per year
Compare this to the 2009 counterpart
2009 Toyota Camry California Model
MPG 25 City 31 Hwy with a carbon footprint of 6.8 tons per year
2009 Toyota Camry Federal Model
MPG 21 City 31 Hwy with a carbon footprint of 7.3 tons per year

And just for giggles I looked but the ever popular Hybrid that is going to save our planet.

MPG Average of 36.5 with the low being 31 and the High being 42 with a carbon footprint of 5.4tons per year

1985 Chevrolet Suburban K10
MPG 14 City 19 Hwy with a carbon footprint of 13.2 tons per year
2009 Chevrolet Suburban 1500
MPG 14 City 19 Hwy with a carbon footprint of 11.4 tons per year

So in the last 20+ years of the EPA taking care of us and spending billions of dollars a year and our cars are getting essentially the same MPG. They have across the board lowered the carbon footprint of the cars I looked at but one has to take the carbon footprint with a grain of salt as the debate is still raging about the actual effects of “Greenhouse Gases” on the environment. In fact the debate has not even been able to prove there is such a thing as a “Greenhouse Gas” Furthermore, the one thing that even opposing people on this debate agree on is that most of the “fossil fuel” that is burnt is cooking and heating fires in 3rd World countries. Of course people would like to make you think that it is your car. That however is simply a agenda.
Note the following study. Of course you can produce studies that refute anything and I understand that but it is food for thought. There is a lot of interesting information on the site that I linked to below this quote.
Just how much of the "Greenhouse Effect" is caused by human activity?
It is about 0.28%, if water vapor is taken into account-- about 5.53%, if not.
This point is so crucial to the debate over global warming that how water vapor is or isn't factored into an analysis of Earth's greenhouse gases makes the difference between describing a significant human contribution to the greenhouse effect, or a negligible one.
Water vapor constitutes Earth's most significant greenhouse gas, accounting for about 95% of Earth's greenhouse effect (4). Interestingly, many "facts and figures' regarding global warming completely ignore the powerful effects of water vapor in the greenhouse system, carelessly (perhaps, deliberately) overstating human impacts as much as 20-fold.
Water vapor is 99.999% of natural origin. Other atmospheric greenhouse gases, carbon dioxide (CO2), methane (CH4), nitrous oxide (N2O), and miscellaneous other gases (CFC's, etc.), are also mostly of natural origin (except for the latter, which is mostly anthropogenic).
Human activities contribute slightly to greenhouse gas concentrations through farming, manufacturing, power generation, and transportation. However, these emissions are so dwarfed in comparison to emissions from natural sources we can do nothing about, that even the most costly efforts to limit human emissions would have a very small-- perhaps undetectable-- effect on global climate.
Global Warming: A closer look at the numbers

For your information the following is the total dollars the EPA is asking for to operate in 2009.

The EPA’s Fiscal Year (FY) 2009 Annual Performance Plan and Congressional Justification requests $7.1 billion in discretionary budget authority and 17,217 Full Time Equivalents (FTE). This request reflects the Agency’s efforts to work with its partners towards protecting air, water, and land, as well as providing for EPA’s role in safeguarding the nation from terrorist attacks. This request echoes the Administration’s commitment to setting high environmental protection standards, while focusing on results and performance, and achieving goals outlined in the President’s Management Agenda.

Link to the site for verification.

http://www.epa.gov/budget/2009/final_09_bib%20.pdf

CPT Crawler Proven Technology
ihpartschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 10
Default Re: What has the EPA done for you lately

Daayum Bubba! Yawl need ta move up here and hunker down in MY bunker and wait 'til all this gummint squeeze finally erupts inna big 'ol bovine BURP and takes tha Goracle/Pelosi team out with it.

ALL the more reason to daileedrive an IH rotbucket no matter WHAT tha cost!

And if ya ain't WITH me...:

Carbon Belch Day

Then come on up anyway and I'll train ya much quicker than L. Ron Hubbard can.

LARD is made for chikinfryin', tortillafryin', frijolefryin'...NOT burnin' inna dam pizzant green weeniemobile. And tha EPA can fry in lard in HAIL in my world.

Now...ya wanna talk..."South Coast Air Quality Management District" or "Bay Area Air Quality Management District"? Ya wanna END this 30+ years of foolishness? Then DON'T send them bustards in Washington/Sacramento NO MORE of yore "redistributed assets"!

Then if them scruuhaid politicos wanna play with petropesos, they can go make kissyface with Hugo "The Boss" Chavez and let HIM be the new "Energy Czar".

What if they gave an election...and nobody came???

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 5

Man I going be rich if I can just figure out how to capture all that carbon and make me a few tons of diamonds.

Now what the hell are you doing introducing facts against the cause.
Down here in our camp we have a cause and we only look at facts that support that casue, all other results that don't fit our model are tossed out as they must be incorrect.
So pipe down with all these facts that don't help support the 'cause'. Hell when I was growing up we were headed into the next ice age, but those facts we now know were wrong and its globe warming dammit!!

Oh did you know that when a tree dies it gives back the Co2 it took in
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

Don't forgit feller anti-PC bubbas...TOMORROW (June 12) is CARBON BELCH DAY!!!

Do yore part, spend the dinero for sum EXTRA fossilfuel, and MAKE A CLOUD.

If all goes well, SpottedOwlGore will be suffocated by nightfall.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

Back when I was being brainwashed in gummint skools (about 50 years ago??), the official position in Civics was that the legislature (local/state/national) passed LAWS.

But somethin' shittee happened along the way...the EPA now has that power:

EPA Could Regulate Lawnmowers, Speed Limit » The Foundry

So what else is new...we've sat back and become complacent regarding the nannystate ALLOWING us to continue to uptake oxygen.

When are we gonna wake up and REVOLT against this shit???

Old 07-17-2008, 08:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 453

Wuz that ina wun rume skulehows with no inside plumbin'? I don't have the answer to yer question. I wish I did. We've sure allowed this sitcheeashun to git out of hand.

Favorite hobby...Driving Salma Hayek in my Scout

Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/33" TSL's/33g Tank/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

Naw Trev...my first skoolin' wassa BIG old brick outfit built in the twenties though (Stonewall Jackson, Dallas TX), named after a TRUE hero of the Great War!!!! Indoor plumbin' too!

Fondest memory wuz gittin' the wanger zipped up in my Lee Rider jeans and havin' ta go to the skool nursee for help. Can ya imagine doin' that today? FIRST thang that would happen is Child Protective Services would be called while ya bleed to death witha nonfunc wanger!

Then the EPA would be called in ta check if any asbestos had been ingested while I was SCREAMIN' for HELP in the shitter!

Old Stonewall woulda dam shore led the REVOLUTION we need TODAY!!!

What if they gave an election and NOBODY came???? I'll vote again when I'm allowed to drop a TAKE-AWAY ballot in the box!

Old 07-17-2008, 10:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 453

Well I hope he had a purdy mouth at least. I'm sorry, I jes can't hep mysef. Ever now and then I git inta full blown smart azz mode. Even back in the late 80's/early 90's, when I attended Daze Crik HS in South Douglas County, things wuz much different than they are now. Back then, it was commonplace to see loaded deer rifles in pickup gunracks parked on school grounds during deer season. Nobody thought anything of it. Had a way cool, old school principal my senior year. One day I shot at him with a suction cup dart pistol. He walked right up to me and slugged me hard in the solar plexis, then turned around and walked off without saying a word or confiscating my dangerous weapon. I figured that was a fair trade. Nowadays, we'd both be in so much trouble niether one of us would ever be able to dig our way out.
Sorry Chad, I've now taken this thread so far off topic it may neve get back on track.

Favorite hobby...Driving Salma Hayek in my Scout

Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/33" TSL's/33g Tank/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

All this jawwin' just tells how fooked our wurld is BECAUSE OF worthless crap like EPA, TSA, DHS, WasHUNGtonDC (all inclusive), PC, PETA, FEMA, FDIC, SSA, IRS, FCC, jessejackrap, ACORN, DNC, RNC, anyKennedy, CARB, SCAQMD, Fannie an FreddieMAMAC, CDC (I'll take salmonella any day), and Berkeley, CA.

I'm sure some of ya can keep that list goin'. I got THREE o' them dam kalifornicate yard implements that don't start worth shit. And even tha dam manual tools ain't wuff a dam since they took tha lead outta the lethal side of a hoe! Next up is saw blades with no teeth and since they kain't make shavin's, then we don't need ta bag the stuff in hazardous waste disposal bags and haul off to that toxic wasteland in Louisiana owned by the Landreau fambly unit (Moon and his spawn).

Old 09-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

Just when the fookin' gummint is trying to KILL the internal combustion motor for all time, these outta touch bastards toss out MORE shit:

Cleaner mower, speedboat engines ordered - Environment - MSNBC.com

Jes' what tha hail do any fookin' b'crats that don't know water from alkyhole know about the term..."speedboats"??? "Speedboats"??? That's a dam word from the 20's when we wuz still tryin; ta figgr how to burn lamp oil! The NYT and the EPA are one and tha same, don't know shit from Shinola (and Shinola that actually works is now a banned substance). What kinda shit is the MSM gonna cram on us next??

And if they "fix" outdoor power equipment any more that they got it "fixxed" now, then the goat and sheep market is gonna skyrocket 'cause the dam thangs WON/T start/run!

Ever seen a dam goat try and drop a 5ft. caliper Dougfir for makin' houseboards??? At least ya don't have ta mix goat feed with oil before ya load tha tank. Them gummint bastards will require cats on all them sheep and goat farts and ya will have to register, have 'em shot for rabies, and pay BIG dam tax on 'em too. Then PETA will wanna regulate 'em, and tha county scruus will have to inspect 'em onna quarterly basis for mad goat disease.

A vote for NONE OF THE ABOVE in November will send these bastards a FIRST GEN message, then do it agin two years from now. How outta touch can these scruus git before we tell 'em NO MORE????

Yawl let this happen, yawl can STOP it now!