IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Electrical Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery Store Home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 06:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 1690
Default Need wiring diagram

I just picked up my 63 Scout 80 last weekend. I ordered a manual but it's not here yet. Can nayone help me out with the wiring for the ignition switch? I need to know what each color is.

Thanks,
Craig
FERG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 10
Default Re: Need wiring diagram

This is an interpreted schematic for a generic Scout 80 with a generator. I'd credit the guy but his website is now dead....I just refer to it as the "Stephen" schematic. It is also missing some variations, but then...so is the schematic in the service manual.

Personally, I'd not waste ANY time on the OEM electrical system whatsoever. They were totally inadequate to begin with with NO system protection (fusing) whatsoever other than fuse for the heater switch (IF the rig had a heater installed), and a circuit breaker on the light switch (common practice on all vehicles of that era).

This schematic also covers on the "class B" turn signal system (most '63 and later). Turn signals were an option item on a Scout 80. The '61>'62 (and some '63) used a completely different type turn signal switch in the column.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Scout 80 Stephen Schematic.pdf (254.0 KB, 330 views)

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mayben View Post
They were totally inadequate to begin with with NO system protection (fusing) whatsoever other than fuse for the heater switch (IF the rig had a heater installed), and a circuit breaker on the light switch (common practice on all vehicles of that era).

Interesting you would say that, I was just thinking about that this morning and couldn't find the fuse block. I was like where the hell is it, surely there is one here somewhere! A definite upgrade is in order for sure. But the truck has been parked for about 5 years or so and I was told the engine had a "knock" when it was parked. So for the moment I am just trying to get it started to assess engine damage and maybe make a few laps arpund the neghborhood in it before I take the entire truck apart.

PS Thanks for the diagram!
Old 03-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

I agree, deal with what ya got so you can assess the overall project.

In fact, I did the same with my rig as it had set for 14 years! The FIRST thing I did to prepare for cranking the engine over and performing the process described in this thread:

http://www.ihonlynorth.com/forums/ga...-assembly.html

post #3 (download), was to rig a external ignition switch and "hot wire" the ignition system (after setting breaker point gap) so that NONE of the OEM electrical system was in play.

A MUCH more elaborate version of an ignition "hot wire" is described in this thread:

http://www.ihonlynorth.com/forums/el...ystem-box.html

A fourbanger witha "knock"?? That's most likely gonna be a lifter bangin' which SOUNDS like a rod but it's not. The second most common "knock" in these motors is gonna be a piston with a worn/collapsed skirt resulting in "piston slap" which has a tendency to quiet after about 30 minutes of run time. That is a fairly common finding on the I-4 motors, the same thing did not affect the SV engines even though they use identical internal components!

Old 03-08-2010, 05:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

I am still learning about these and like I said I don't have my book yet. Whats the difference in the I-4 and the SV.

I believe my 63 Scout 80 has the 152 but thats the extent of my knowledge on the subject at this point. Some clarification would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

An I-4 refers to either a 152 or 196 four cylinder engine (inline four). SV refers to either a 266, 304, 345, or 392 V8 engine (Small V8).

A Scout 80 NEVER had a 196 available OEM, that engine was developed AFTER the end of production of the Scout 80. Some have been swapped in of course, I have a 196 in my S80.

See these threads for some Scout 80 factual content:

http://www.ihonlynorth.com/forums/re...years-ago.html

and:

http://www.ihonlynorth.com/forums/ba...t-tickets.html

and:

http://www.ihonlynorth.com/forums/ch...h-keeping.html

We have MANY more threads that pertain to Scout 80 stuff in nearly every sub-forum. MOST useful will be the "Ignition" sub-forum along with any thread that has to do with the Holley 1904 carburetor. We have the MOST extensive and accurate information available on the 'net regarding the Holley 1904 right here at IHON!

Old 03-09-2010, 09:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Awesome! Thanks for the links and all of the info!
Old 03-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have figured most of it out. But the old ign switch has one wire left without a label. I have identified the ign wire, acc wire, batt wire, and st wire(I assume that means starter). The old switch had 5 sets of posts and this last one didn't have a label that I could see, the new switch only has 4 poles and all have the proper wires on them, so whats this one....

It's here in the pic:

After hooking up all but this last wire I tried my new switch and the motor turned over, so it works but not having this last wire I am sure I will eventually find whats not working.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

Actual testing of the OEM switch I have for a sample tells me that unmarked terminal is a GROUND when the switch is ONLY in the "start" position.

I don't have access to an actual OEM S80 wiring diagram right now to verify what that wire run shown in your pic is for. But when I do complete re-wires from scratch (not a pre-terminated panel assembly) I use the same "universal" ignition switch that you show. And I have no provision in my wire runs for any additional "switch-controlled" ground.

The OEM switch shown in your pic is an easily sourced item in the aftermarket, but most are shit quality, the Niehoff version is the worst. The OEM switches were sourced from either Indak or Pollack.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks Michael.

I will take another look today after I finish my Honey Do's. If it is in fact a ground, and the new switch desn't require one then I can just disconnect and leave it?

When you say you use a switch like the one pictured, are you reffereing to the old one low in the pic or the new one high and to the right?
Old 03-22-2010, 07:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

I would make an attempt to trace that black wire showing that is connected to the OEM switch (the one on the left in your pic). That is the only way to know exactly what it's purpose is right now. If you disconnect it and probe the female terminal with an ohmmeter lead and then take the other ohmmeter lead to a ground point, that will tell you if it's "grounded" or not, then see if you can trace it through the harness.

The OEM ignition switch with the male terminals is designed to take a gang connector (though individual 1/4" female slide terminals can be used). The aftermarket switch on the right with the keys inserted uses ring terminals.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

It took a little bit but I tracked it down. It didn't ground out so I had to chase it back throught the bundle. Its the hot wire for the original heater fan. Or at least I assume thats what the switch is since it has a big F on it. Looks like the second heater box we talked about in the other thread had it's own switch too. This black original one has an old bus style fuse built into the switch..

So I will add it to the accessory terminal on my new ignition switch
Old 03-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

That makes sense as we now know the ride had TWO heater units mounted!