IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Electrical Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery Store Home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 2095
Unhappy fuel gauge problems!!

I own a 1965 scout 80, its been my daily driver for 3 years. My right side tank had always worked but my left tank never showed on the gauge. Just recently my right side has gone out. i have pulled both tanks and pulled out the lifters, upon this i discovered my right tank was brand new. my left tank was original and a little rough looking. But both floats were full of gas. I put the light tester on each wire feeding the lifters. Both flash brighter when you hold the lifter full and dimmer when you hold it to empty.

Now, i have cleaned the bays and the tray the tanks sit on and i have pressure washed both tanks and cleaned the lifters. Before i put everything back together was wondering if it was as easy as cleaning the tanks so they could ground and replacing the floats or if there is a way i can test the gauge to see if i have a bad gauge under the dash.

Any help, lost at this point
scout65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 10
Default Re: fuel gauge problems!!

You have ONE, single fuel gauge in the instrument cluster. IF...you have a sender in each tank, then a switch must be used to read either the passenger side or the driver side tank level.

Some of the S80 vehicles had only a single tank/and no selector valve or fuel gauge selector switch. Some had two tanks, with two senders, and a selector switch to read the fuel level in each tank. And of course a manual tank selector valve mounted on the driver side floor.

IF your fuel level sender units are functional and original with the brass "barrel" floats, then the floats only are easily replaceable, we have those on the shelf though you will have to call to order as they are not shown in the online store. If they are temporarily out of stock at the shop in Grass Valley, then I have some on the shelf at my location, these are NEW floats, current production, and not NOS.

To test the functionality of the gauge and it's power supply referred to a a Constant Voltage Regulator (CVR), simply momentarily ground the wire connected to each sending unit while the key switch is turned on and watching the gauge. Do this just momentarily and only long enough to see the needle start to move. If you ground that wire continuously, you will see the gauge pod and CVR go up in flames.

Their is much information right here in this sub-forum regarding this subject, do a search using keyword "CVR".

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

thanks alot, ill try it out, do you think will all the dirt and oils under the tanks that they could have been grounded improperly?
Old 07-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

ok... Both fuel senders work, when i momentarily grounded the wires the gauge jumped up to full, so both tanks and gauge work. Looks like now all there is to do is replace floats and it looks like thats all thats left to make emm work.

Tags
fuel gauge, fuel gauge problems, fuel lifter problems, fuel tanks