IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Electrical Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery Store Home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 1513
Default scout 80 fuel gauge voltage/ohms?

FYI, ive searched this thread for the info i needed and could not find it, so here is my query...

ive recently changed the alternator in the 63 model 80 to a GM 1 wire (along with its new SBC 283) and im running analog temp, oil and volt gauges (summit brand) which work great!

Engine Swap | Facebook

the problem is - i still want to run my stock fuel and temp gauge, but they do not read correctly. at first they always read at 1/2 of true, so i pulled the gauge from the dash and snipped the oil and alternator lights from the harness thinking there was resistance designed into the loop that was the cause of the low reading. sure nuff - because now they read at 110% when the ignition is ON, which is absolutely incorrect and im wondering if i should be running a voltage reducer from the main HOT wire before it connects to the gauges?

pre test - i did the due diligence of running a ground test on the sending unit wire at the tank and it got the gauge to read FULL when i grounded it to the chassis. this was previous to snipping the OIL and ALT dummy light wires.

also, i am running a brand new Model 80 temp sending unit on the new motor, and i know exactly what the actual water temperature is from the new analog gauge.... im sure 180 degrees should read at least at the half way mark on the original temp gauge - which it does not.

ive read a good several similar posts but don't see any that share the actual ohm or voltage specs or requirements for the actual gauge itself. this would be extremely helpful in determining where the problem might stem from.

thanks in advance for the help.
Attached Images

Last edited by Early Scout; 10-23-2011 at 07:29 AM..
Early Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 517
Default Re: scout 80 fuel gauge voltage/ohms?

Why are you so sure the stock temp gauge should read 180 degrees at the 1/2 mark?

180 is not at the half mark on the "sweep" of your aftermarket gauge.

180 is more likely at the 1/4 - 1/3 mark on the stock temp gauge.
RobertC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

given the photo of my after market gauges its pretty easy to see where in the sweep the 180 mark is, so i don't get the correlation of why you'd compare the two?

but over the past few days - after watching my stock gauge when my after market gauge is around the 180-190 mark its pretty apparent that my IH temp gauge is right below the half way mark... without a manual or any previous info to go on - other than what i can scrounge up online, and what you've just shared, id say what im reading is probably close to what ive originally stated....?

any solid info you have on this is more than appreciated - but i think the meat and potatoes of what i'm sharing here is that the voltage going up to the temp/fuel gauges needs to be 5 volts - which im sure has a lot of folks puzzled when they modify their charging system and lose that built in resistor that is somewhere in the wiring loop.

i found a cheap and easy cure and i wanted to share that for those who want their stock gauges to work. so i hope ive helped...?
Old 10-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 517

Yes, the stock IH gauges "need" 5 volts...

On "70's" IHs, it is "attached" to one of the dash gauges. I do not know where it is on 60's IHs.

If you search this subforum for CVR or constant voltage regulator, you should find a number of threads discussing it.

If you had purchased the manufacturer's shop manual for your IH (which I would I recommend for any owner of an "old" vehicle), you may have saved yourself some "grief"...
RobertC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

well thank you RobertC....!! = S≈ obvious you woke up on the wrong side of the bed today....???

yeah, it would have been great to know to search the "sub-forums" for "CVR" or "constant voltage regulator" but the problem is - that would be the last set of search keywords i, or probably 99% percent of the folks that search these boards would be looking for... dontcha think? not even in a perfect world would someone think to use those keywords in a search because they don't relate to the problem...

shop manual & sub-forums - im much more ahead of the game having spent my time NOT searching the sub-forums, or the "MFG's shop manual" and instead, spent those valuable few hours of my precious weekend time with my volt/ohm tester to figure out what was going on completely on my own and actually figuring out and solving the problem on Saturday so i was able to take a nice Sunday drive in the country with my sweet girlfriend who loves the fact that the gauges in her cute little 63 Scout now read correct and accurately... ya know?

as far as where the "CVR" in the model 80 is, is still a mystery to me. im guessing it went away when i changed the POS original alternator to an internally regulated one wire alternator. maybe somewhere in between the regulator and alternator. god knows?

i did see a thread here that i think said it was actually in the temp gauge itself. there was a picture n all, but again it was hard to tell. all i can tell you is that the voltage was not right before i separated the oil and generator dummy lights, then it was a straight 12V after separation, and now there's a sweet little 5V regulator that takes barely any power or amperage to run that feeds the gauges a constant and steady 5 volts of DC power without any problem whatsoever....
Old 11-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

here's picture of the voltage regulator i used...
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

another pic of the package it comes in with the simple schematic on the backside.... ; )≈
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 527

The CVR for toaster wire instruments as used in many vehicles; Mopar, Ford, and most of IH, are mounted in close proximity or integral to the instrument cluster. The reason is that way they provide a temperature compensated voltage source for the bi-metal/toaster wire gauge readouts. It doesn't matter how much of an alternator upgrade the owner does, all it needs is some kind of voltage be it 6, 12 or some wheres around there.

For your 80, the CVR is in the temperature pod:http://www.ihonlynorth.com/forums/el...ge-thread.html

As far as electronic replacements go, I myself am not on board with that idea. I give the reasons here:http://www.ihonlynorth.com/forums/el...pesky-crv.html

The sending units run an average resistance of 10-73 ohm from full to low scale.

Your pics show nice work. I hope they work out the way you want.
Greg R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

thanks for the threads and info Greg.

this little unit has been working like a charm ever since i installed it. i really wish i could have got a nice picture of it attached to the back of the gauge because it looked so compact and clean the way it's attached....

damned photographer was slakin....