IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > IH Parts America Area > IH Parts America Build-Ups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery Store Home

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #31 (permalink)
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1
Default Re: IH Parts America's 1971 Scout 800B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughing it View Post
Great post so much great info. I plan on doing this lift to my 80 soon with the reversal upfront. Im torn on weather to do the cpt long travel front with the 80/800 rear pr just stick with the 80/800 kit. Pros/bemmifits to eather or any info on helping make that choice from some experance would help. . I drive my 80 basically stock everyday and I'm sick of bouncing down there road its not a bronco lol.

Rob
The CPT Long Travel Kit is more or less intended for offroad use with a Dana 44 axle. Yes the kit can be adapted to work with your stock Dana 27 or 30 front axle but for the type of driving you describe I would either stick with the stock style Scout 80/800 springs or install Scout II front springs. Personally for a daily driver I would go with Scout II springs for the front with our CPT Reverse Shackle Kit.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
(530)268-0864
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #32 (permalink)
Administrator & Owner

Thought I would give you guys an update on Stumpy. Since the lift was installed and other work performed I've put a little over 1000 miles on the Scout and thoroughly enjoy driving it.

Through the years we have received a ton of requests for a disc brake conversion for the front Dana 27 or 30 axle in the Scout 80/800. We know that there are plenty of other retailers offering a front disc brake kit for the Scout but we found none offered it as complete as we would like to see so we developed our own. With how poorly Stumpy stopped it was time to perform a front disc brake conversion and at the same time also develop a kit that our customers could purchase from us and install for themselves.

After putting Stumpy up on the lift first thing was to remove the tires.

Next up the factory drum brakes were removed down to the spindle.

After that I spent a few minutes cleaning up both of the knuckles. If the knuckle seals were bad now would be the time to replace them. Mine were still in good shape so I left those alone.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (155.7 KB, 1649 views)
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (139.7 KB, 1672 views)
File Type: jpg 003.JPG (148.6 KB, 1605 views)
File Type: jpg 005.JPG (125.0 KB, 1595 views)
File Type: jpg 006.JPG (123.3 KB, 1568 views)
File Type: jpg 007.JPG (131.6 KB, 1608 views)

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
(530)268-0864
Old 06-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #33 (permalink)
Administrator & Owner

With the freshly applied paint dry on the knuckles the first thing to install were the caliper support brackets. New spindle bolts are included with the kit that we offer as they need to be longer than the factory original bolts.

Next the calipers are hung on the support bracket to see where the knuckle needs to be ground on for proper caliper to knuckle clearance.

A few minutes with a flapper wheel on my 4.5" angle grinder and the necessary clearance needed was done on both left and right sides.

With the grinding done the new wheel bearing hubs and rotors were installed. Since my wheel bearings were in excellent condition I went ahead and reused those.

I then installed the new calipers and my original locking hubs bolted right back on.

A phone call to my local brake line builder and an hour later I had brake hoses in hand that both had the correct caliper and hard line end to make it an easy direct bolt in.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008.JPG (141.4 KB, 1599 views)
File Type: jpg 010.JPG (88.1 KB, 1558 views)
File Type: jpg 012.JPG (131.4 KB, 1560 views)
File Type: jpg 025dbkpic.JPG (69.0 KB, 1561 views)
File Type: jpg 018.JPG (141.0 KB, 1597 views)
File Type: jpg 031.JPG (132.3 KB, 1704 views)
File Type: jpg 032dbkpic.JPG (128.6 KB, 1609 views)
File Type: jpg 036.JPG (77.4 KB, 1559 views)

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
(530)268-0864
Old 06-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #34 (permalink)
Administrator & Owner

With disc brakes now installed up front a proper matching master cylinder should be installed and is also why we include one with our kit. We already sell a disc front/drum rear brake master cylinder for the Scout 80/800 so one was pulled from the shelf and installed. In order to bolt in the master cylinder some additional clearance is required between it and the wheel well. A few hits with a hammer and the needed clearance was obtained.

To top off the install and our kit and to make sure everything works correctly a proper brake proportioning valve for disc brake front and drum brake rear was installed. Later Scout 800's originally came with a distribution block while early Scout 800's and 80's with the single reservoir master cylinder only had a basic junction block. Upgrading to a proportioning valve is a huge improvement over both performance and safety. Our kit will also include pre-bent brake lines from the master cylinder to the proportioning valve.

For easier access in installing the proportioning valve I removed the steering column. Since my bell joint boot was missing and the column was out I decided to go ahead and install one of our Borgeson column kits.

Borgeson Steering Kit for 69'-71' Scout 800A & 800B - New Lower Price! - International Scout Parts

For those interested in our disc brake kit we have them available for the Scout 800A and 800B. For those with a Scout 80 or early Scout 800 with single reservoir master cylinder additional brake lines will be needed in order to perform the install.

CPT Front Disc Brake Kit for Scout 800 - International Scout Parts

When installing disc brakes most don't know this but drum brake wheels are designed differently than disc brake wheels so usually they must also be replaced when the conversion is performed. Due to the way a drum brake wheel is designed it does not have the proper clearance for the brake caliper. Knowing this I decided to go with Scout II chrome Rallye wheels. At the same time I had a fresh set of 31x10.50 GoodYear Wrangler Duratrac tires installed.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 039.JPG (115.5 KB, 1717 views)
File Type: jpg 045dbkpic.JPG (91.1 KB, 1730 views)
File Type: jpg 040.JPG (83.3 KB, 1753 views)
File Type: jpg 047.JPG (151.6 KB, 2044 views)
File Type: jpg 250dbkpic.JPG (119.4 KB, 2107 views)
File Type: jpg 025.JPG (167.0 KB, 2638 views)
File Type: jpg 027.JPG (183.3 KB, 2001 views)
MarkO likes this.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
(530)268-0864
Old 06-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #35 (permalink)
Administrator & Owner

Earlier in the month I took Stumpy on a trail ride up to Fourdyce Lake. It was really nice having the new extra stopping power.
Attached Images

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
(530)268-0864
Old 07-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member Number: 2869

Stumpy is looking good! I noticed you have upgraded the drag link and tie rod hardware as well. Is that detailed in another thread? Mine seem fine for now but would like to have an option other than the stock hardware when it comes time to replace. I would love some easier to service parts.
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #37 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 543

I see two champagne colored baby Scouts but there could be three.
Looks good IHPA crew..

People preach " Don't over think life, just go where it takes you". But I can't help but think of the Wise Ancient Mariner who looks toward the horizon for any sign of storm clouds.
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #38 (permalink)
Administrator & Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet View Post
Stumpy is looking good! I noticed you have upgraded the drag link and tie rod hardware as well. Is that detailed in another thread? Mine seem fine for now but would like to have an option other than the stock hardware when it comes time to replace. I would love some easier to service parts.
I didn't mention the tierod upgrade as it was an experiment to see if we could market them for retail. I read on Binder Planet about using a Ford Bronco tierod and tried it out. After performing the install I felt that it was more trouble than what it was worth so I did not go any further. For the draglink and pitman arm we did end up marketing that part and can be purchased on our online store - CPT Scout 80 or 800 Pitman Arm and Draglink Combo - International Scout Parts

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
(530)268-0864
Old 09-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member Number: 2223

Just want to say I purchased the suspension kit and I am very happy with it. It was the easiest install of my rebuild. I wish I would have waited a couple months for the brake kit but I already purchased one. Now that I ready through the thread I found something else I want, Borgeson Steering Kit for 69'-71' Scout 800A & 800B!.
Thanks IH Parts America!
Jesse
jtc3407 is offline   Reply With Quote