IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Oil Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery Store Home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2009, 09:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 25
Default GM6094M

Hi Dick

Can you shed some light on the GM6094M spec. I am already running Swepco in 3 vehicles. I am looking to switch a 2006 Escalade to Swepco as well.

thx
ldo_marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Oil Moderator

Member Number: 207
Default Re: GM6094M

The GM 6094M specification for engine oil is for oils meeting the "SM" classification. As you know, the Swepco 306 engine oils meet up to and including "SL," so it would not be the one to use in that rig if you wanted to meet the manufacturer's recommendation.

Swepco 303 Engine Oil meets the "SM" spec, it is available in 5W20, 5W30 and 10W30 weights. Because of the fact that most of my customers have continued using the 306 because of the higher additive package, I have not stocked the 303, but I can get it in for special orders.

Thank you for using Swepco in your other 3 units..... there's nothing like a satisfied customer!

Dick
DF Sales&Marketing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply. What is the difference between SL and SM? I am wondering if the 306 oil will cause problems with the sensors in that vehicle? the vehicle is still under warranty til May so I'd like comply with GM's recommendation. After the warranty period, I'll run 306 unless there is a reason not to use 306.

thx
Old 12-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Oil Moderator

I've gone back and copied some of the information on the change in engine oil specifications which went into effect in 2007.....

The newest gasoline engine oil service classification is API: “SM.” One of the primary reasons why the EPA wanted to introduce this requirement was the concern that for engines which burned a little oil, the ZDDP (zincdialkylditiophosphate), was poisoning catalytic converters. The major automotive manufacturers at first stated that there was no bona fide data to confirm this theory, and even today, it is still debatable. The government calls for catalytic converters to have a minimum useful life of 120,000 miles, most catalytic converters have far surpassed that mileage in use without having an abnormal amount of failures due to the so-called “poisoning.” ZDDP is the major anti-wear additive in engine oil, it has been used for decades, it is relatively inexpensive, yet very effective. With the lowering of ZDDP in some oils, almost nothing in some other oils due to “additive drop-out conditions” (primarily in semi-synthetic and some synthetic oils), a devastating effect has occurred. The first casualties of low-to-no ZDDP took place in high-performance gasoline and methanol fueled engines. One case which I know of “flattened” three camshafts within a two-month period in a race car situation. Excessive valve train wear has also been experienced with this oil.
Independent engine builders recognized the problem almost immediately and started recommending to the industries they serve to use a “high-quality” oil with zinc in it for anti-wear protection. Most all of the majors, including those who produce private label engine oil for companies, such as for auto parts stores have changed their formulations to meet SM. You will see it on the shelves at the stores, and from the oil jobbers.

DIESEL SERVICE RATING “CJ-4”

The newest diesel engine oil service classification is API: “CJ-4,” sometimes just referred to as “CJ.” The major cause of change for this rating was to meet the 2007 Low-Emission Diesel Engines specifications. The concern once again was due to exhaust emissions. It had been determined that on engines using a DPF (diesel particulate filter), it would be plugged up by the heavy metals in the additive package of the engine oils which were graded up to CI-4 plus. The newer diesel emissions systems can reach temperatures as high as 1,600ş F. Heavy metal additives destroy the system. Therefore any engine oil prior to CJ-4 which is not formulated for these engines should not be used. According to the new specs for CJ-4, the oil must contain lower levels of ZDDP, Calcium and Phosphorous, it must also not have a TBN any higher than 9. TBN is a measure of the oil’s alkaline reserve, which is used for fighting off the damaging effects of acid. Diesel oils which are formulated for “Low-Emission Engines” when used in pre-2007 engines has been reported as having premature bearing wear in as little as 10,000 miles. Furthermore, if any type of oil additive is used to help the friction modification of these oils, including molybdenum disulfide , they will also poison the system in diesel applications.

I cannot tell you that it would be OK to run the 306SL engine oil in an engine which requires SM, however I can tell you that I have several customers who do so and in doing so are not taking warranty requirements into consideration. They prefer the 306 because of the higher additive levels than even the 303 has, and have the mindset that it would be cheaper to replace a catalytic converter than to replace an engine. Not to say that either one would occur. Having an engine which burns oil is just one reason for a catalytic converter to fail, and there are literally millions of cats out there in which the engine was using pre-SM oil with an excess of 120,000 miles on them (which is one of the EPA's main concerns).

So, with that in mind, the choice is up to you......

Dick
Old 12-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. There are lots of myths about cats failing using pre SM oil which i don't buy . My Trooper burns oil since new and now has over 160K on the original cats with no problems passing smog.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Oil Moderator

Thanks for proving a point on engines which burn a little oil!

I just realized that I didn't completely pick-up on your original post. You asked about the GM6094M specification, but you also said you had a 2006 Escalade. The SM classification did not become effective until 2007 models, so unless your Escalade was manufactured in late 2006, it might be that the actual recommendation was SL. The 306 in the 5W30 weight only meets SJ, so in that case my recommendation would be 306, 10W30, which is a better choice.

My body is here, but my mind is still back on Maui where we were on vacation last week!

Dick
Old 12-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

It's an early 2006 model and the owners manual only states GM6094M and nothing else. I'll plan on using 306 in a few months (after warranty expires). There are a few repairs I'd like GM to take care of and I don't want them to ask "why is your oil so dark? when was the last time you changed oil ? etc.... )
Old 12-16-2009, 05:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Oil Moderator

Just for clarification for those of you who are not aware:

Swepco 306 engine oil is purple.....
Old 12-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

not at first to those that are not aware. looks dark til they wipe it on a white rag

I even had one guy asked "hey u using trans fluid for oil?" after seeing some seepage on the drain plug

Last edited by ldo_marlin; 12-16-2009 at 09:00 PM..
Old 12-17-2009, 09:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 453

It smails dam purdy too and *mayks fer a tasty kawktayl when miksed with Sailor Jerry in a 2:1 raysheyo.

*The above claim has not been verified by SWEPCO, the FDA, EPA, DEQ, or NSA.

Favorite hobby...Driving Salma Hayek in my Scout

Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/33" TSL's/33g Tank/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
ihpartstrever is offline   Reply With Quote