IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Transfer Case Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery Store Home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 624
Default Leaking dana 20

I have a leak coming out the tail shaft of the dana 20. I think there is an oil seal right after the yoke and I suspect that is where it is leaking. Question is to get the yoke off. Is it a tapered fit like the pit man arm to where I need a puller/press or does it slid out once the big nut is off. Also what is the best way once the yoke is off to get the seal out, grab it with pliers?
Any help would be great
int77345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 10
Default Re: Leaking dana 20

This is a pic of a twin-stick D20 behind a T-18 for reference purposes.

To remove the rear output yoke, simply remove the nut. You may find a serrated rubber washer under the nut that is for the purpose of sealing the splined area preventing oil migration through the splines.

The yoke will simply pull right off the output shaft spline though you may have to help it. Inspect the machined area of the yoke for damage from the seal, if it's grooved, the yoke needs to be replaced with new, OR a repair sleeve installed on the yoke.

The seal may be popped out using a seal removal tool or a long, heavy screwdriver/pry tool. You may also find a felt ring slid over the shaft, or some type of thin sheet metal "slinger".

It's easier to remove the seal safely by removing the rear bearing housing and driving the seal out. But you will also need to replace the gasket and you "might" find shims between the bearing retainer, the gasket, and the housing, those are used for bearing adjustment, not all cases will have shims at that location.

If you remove the bearing retainer, use a NEW gasket at that location, do NOT use RTV! That gasket acts as a shim/spacer for the bearing/output shaft.

IHON has the gasket and seal kits in stock, along with separate output shaft seals.
Attached Images

http://vimeo.com/8149690

Last edited by Michael Mayben; 08-05-2009 at 07:43 PM..
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 624

thanks for the good information Michael. i will go after this leak in a few weekends and see where the problem is.
int77345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 10

I know you are dealing with a D20...but ya might review this thread regarding standard practices for dealing with seals, yokes, and such.

This is a Dodge/Cummins 727 with a married 205 bolted on. And I tried to explain the issue regarding the damaged yoke seal surface and how to handle that. This information regarding the 205 directly crosses over to your D20!

http://www.ihonlynorth.com/forums/tr...iy-reseal.html

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote