IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Transfer Case Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery Store Home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 967
Default identifing my transfer case..

hey there i finally got the numbers from the transfer case and transmission was hoping u can tell me what i got and what my speeds are on the transfer case.. thanks..

so ok on the transfer case i have...... c 18-15-24 2

on my transmission it says..... t18a-1c wg div
Old 03-26-2010, 09:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 10
Default Re: identifing my transfer case..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sua sponte View Post
hey there i finally got the numbers from the transfer case and transmission was hoping u can tell me what i got and what my speeds are on the transfer case.. thanks..

so ok on the transfer case i have...... c 18-15-24 2

on my transmission it says..... t18a-1c wg div
The 18-15-24 number cast into the case is the Spicer part number for the CASE only, it is not a part number for the entire assembly. But that number does correlate to a Dana/Spicer 20 transfer case.

The actual IH part number for transfer case identification is on a metallic tag that was originally mounted under the bolt head that locks the retainer for the intermediate shaft, right below the casting number you reference.

Same for the number on the transmission. That refers to a "Warner Gear" unit that was originally produced as the T-18 model. The same part number case is used for MANY other variations however. The true ID for the trans is also on a metallic tag installed under one of the bolt heads that retains the shifter top.

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 967

could transfer case be converted to twin stick?

what is the gears for this case? from bottom to next and so on? thanks michael.. im trying to locate my highs and lows
Old 03-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

The earlier D20 transfer cases used in Scout 800 (along with MANY other vehicles!) were a twin stick-controlled unit.

And any single stick control D20 may certainly be converted to twin stick operation, very common (I have some of each type). We have a twin stick conversion shifter on the shelf now, but it's not a simple matter to just bolt that on! The interlock "pills" on the single stick D20 must be removed, but you MUST retain the detent spings and balls in order to keep the various shifter positions "locked" in place. Jumping out of engagement is a common issue with these cases if the springs are weak or the detent balls (and the rails) are worn beyond limits.

Here is a quickee scan right out of the early Scout II service manual (CTS 2304) that shows the shift pattern for the OEM twin stick units AND the later single stick with an explanation of how the single stick interlock operates.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf D20 Shift Info.PDF (4.57 MB, 358 views)

Old 08-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 2118

A few of my trucks have had leaking transfer case parts and its a pain to find good salvage assemblies. any one got any suggestions other than ebay?
litterfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
IHPA Tech Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by litterfisher View Post
A few of my trucks have had leaking transfer case parts and its a pain to find good salvage assemblies. any one got any suggestions other than ebay?
How can we answer a question about a transfer case when we don't have a clue as to what transfer case you are referring?

Transfer cases are rebuilt day in and day out by hundreds of shops and individuals around the country and world, including IHON. A rebuilt TC doesn't leak, why not go that route?